Sunday, August 19, 2012

Natural Cough & Cold Remedy

It's that time of the year again, kids are back in school. That means germs are flowing and you and your little one might get sick. I don't know about you, but I am not a big fan of taking unnatural medicines or giving them to my child. Although they provide relief, they can also be harmful to your body. Luckily, we have sweet Mother Earth to rely on.

Here is a simple, safe and totally affordable natural remedy that you can use on your whole family. Most people have the herb right in their own home! Thyme. This infusion is fool proof!

IMG_6504

(Note: children, babies and adults all take a different dosage. See list below. Do not give to babies under 6 months of age without professional advice)

Directions:

Simply steep 2 level teaspoons of dry thyme in 1 cup of boiling water (one teaspoon if you are using fresh thyme)

cover for 5 - 10 minutes

Strain and let cool


Dosages:

Standard: take 1 cup 3-4 times a day

6 - 12 months: take 1/3 cup a day

1 - 6 years old: take 1 - 2 cups a day 

7 - 13 years old: take 2 1/2 - 3 cups a day


 I don't have a fancy tea pot, I just dump my herb into a jar and pour the boiling water on top. I cover the jar with a towel and strain with a regular mesh strainer when it is done.

 IMG_6496

This infusion can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. It's not that long, but that's okay because it's simple enough to make it as you need it.

I hope you try this out! Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them!

All of my information came from the book Natural Health Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevallier



1 comment:

Please, make a comment. I would love to read what you have to share :)