Wednesday, April 4, 2012

new chicks on the block

I have been thinking about owning chicks for awhile now and finally decided to take the plunge. I've been researching and researching trying to learn as much as I possibly can in order to be the best chicken mom I can. Things like, use pine shavings for chick bedding instead of cedar because cedar can cause respiratory problems later in life, never use newspaper for the bedding because it becomes wet and slippery and can cause a permanent deformity called "splayed leg" and check the chick's bottoms for "pasting up".


A couple of weeks ago we got 5 baby chicks - a Red Star, Golden Sex Link, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Barred Plymouth Rock and a Rhode Island Red. Their names are Millie, Yellowman (named by the little neighbor boy), Ophelia, Raven and Peckerson.


The chickies are posted up in our living room for the time being. We chose to keep then in there instead of the basement so we can keep an eye on them and really get to know their personalities. Millie and Ophelia are really quiet and sweet. Peckerson is the feisty one. Yellowman is calm and friendly, always happy to perch on an arm. And then there is Raven. She reminds me of a middle child, a lot like myself. I am going to have to get to know her more before I can accurately describe her.

Photobucket
Ophelia and Millie


Our little neighbors have discovered that these chicks are now residing at our home and stop by daily to hold them. I really love when I hear the knock at the door; it brings me back to when I was a little girl. I just know I would be doing the same thing. The kiddos sit on our front porch holding them and call out their names as they pass the girls back and forth. They always ask if they can have one or at least "chick sit". I tell them they can pretend they own them and to come over anytime to visit. At dusk, they run home and beg their moms and dads to get them chicks of their very own.


We are now in the process of designing and gathering supplies to build the coop, a 2 story gem with a garden on top. Our plan is to build the entire thing out of shipping palettes. Well, most of it anyway. Jordan has been scanning the backs of business buildings that throw them out, daily, trying to collect the perfect pieces. I will share more about that when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, make a comment. I would love to read what you have to share :)