Tuesday, July 24, 2012

soft egg

This week is Yellowman's second week of laying eggs.

IMG_5399
  That's Yellowman

Right now she is the only hen of five that is laying. I went outside today to collect her egg and was surprised to find that it was soft and rubbery. I am new to the chicken business, but have heard of this before. I understand that this common with newly laying hens and I also know that it can be caused be a calcium deficiency (among many other things). I have decided to crunch up a bunch of egg shells that I just tossed in the compost pile and feed them to the girls. I am hoping that will help harden her eggs. Compared to oyster shells, a commonly used supplement, they are free and easy to come by. We'll see if it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, make a comment. I would love to read what you have to share :)